Tuple Format?

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Sat Sep 2 20:29:51 EDT 2000

    Moshe> On Fri, 1 Sep 2000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    >> >That's because you're not explaining it correctly. Paraphrasing the NRA,
    >> >"parens don't build tuples, commas build tuples".
    >>
    >> What about ()?
    >>
    >> It's a tuple, but there are no commas, only parens.

    Moshe> Right you are! This is the special case, not the 1-element
    Moshe> tuple.  But people don't have a problem with this, and it
    Moshe> even looks nice.

People don't have a problem because they don't use it... at least *I*
don't.  I didn't even know it's there...

Or I don't have to (what use is an empty tuple?)

A one-element tuple is something you *have* to deal with (at least for
the apply(...) case, I think).

Bye, J

PS: I had just learned that "parens don't build tuples, commas build
tuples", then you folks come along and get me back to square one.  The
tuple syntax is a bigger crock  than I thought.

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
     MARS: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html