Painfully slow startup

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Wed Sep 13 21:47:05 EDT 2000

"Jay Krell" <jay.krell at cornell.edu> writes:

> No one said if it was paging in winmm or some per process startup it does
> (which could also involve cached pageins).
> To load winmm you can simply do
>     rundll32 winmm,foo
> at a command line, though it will put up an error.
>
> The minimal C/C++ program:
>     #include "windows.h"
>     int main() { LoadLibraryA("winmm"); return 0; }

I don't think you'd want to return from main though right?  If the
application exits, Windows would unload the library if it was only
that app using it, and while it might be lazy about reclaiming the
memory, it could get reclaimed at any time.  So if you really wanted
to make sure the winmm paging wasn't an issue you'd need to leave some
application running that used it.

Heck, I guess an extra copy of python in the background would serve
just fine, not to mention probably speeding up the loading of the
python dll at the same time since it would also be in memory.

--
-- David