Python GUI button placer?

Jason McDermott mcdermoj at ohsu.edu
Tue Sep 5 18:30:01 EDT 2000

In article <vYat5.11$C9.3127 at news>, "Robert" <rhicks at nospam.rma.edu> wrote:

> It is my understanding that SpecTcl is a dead project and Visual Tcl does
> not spit out Python code. So for Tkinter there really is not a ui builder.
> Which is a shame. Maybe Visual Tcl will support Python in the future.
>
> I do not know enough about Python at this point but I think a basic ui
> builder based on Python/Tkinter/Pmw would be a very good thing.
>
> Robert
>
> "Cameron Laird" <claird at starbase.neosoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B86D4F5DC11C289D.579225F445DAED24.D09CBED3DB4E2633 at lp.airnews.net...

I am about to release a simple-yet-complicated GUI builder which I have in
the final (first) stages of bug-elimination. It is a mini-language
interpreter written in Python (completely) using Tkinter, which means that
it is kinda slow (although not bad)- but it makes protyping GUIs very simple
and can be used to create fairly sophisticated GUIs for long-term use.

I got fed up with writing 1000 lines o' code every time I wanted to make a
largish dialog (even with using dialog classes etc.)- it'll handle menus,
buttons, radio buttons, scale sliders, file selection, and several other
things. It is definitely nice to have a good grip on Tkinter before using
it- although not necessary for simple constructions.

Anyway, thought readers of this thread might want to be on the lookout-
it'll be called tkCoLa and I'll put something through PyAnnounce in a week
or so.

Jason