What is Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Sep 20 02:59:37 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin wrote:

> Erik Max Francis wrote:
> >
> > Peter Hansen wrote:
> >
> > > The Python version Alex posted, on the other hand (yes, I have
> > > three!),
> > > not only makes it explicit what is going on, but looks rather
> > > maintainable (even to someone with minimal exposure to Python, I'll
> > > bet).  Continuing the spoken language analogy... Esperanto, anyone?
> >
> > Laux tio analogio, Perl estus Volapuko.
>
> Gesundheit!

A fitting response, considering Volapük was invented by a German...

Actually, the analogy with Esperanto is intriguing, but perhaps not
surprising in a lot of ways.  Both Python and Esperanto were planned
languages, with consistent, simple rules applied universally, designed
to be exceptionally easy for beginners but very expressive and powerful
for those more fluent and with just enough character to make them feel
very natural without getting in the way of use.  Both have been around
for far longer than most people realize (Esperanto a little longer...
:), have competition in the form of much less consistent (I'm being
polite) languages (Perl and English) which make a point of having ten
different ways to say any particular thing while still remaining
exceptionally difficult even for fairly experienced "speakers".  (Are
there any native Perl speakers?  Hmm... :)

Both Python and Esperanto were developed by individuals who then
effectively donated the languages to their community (one exception,
Zamenhof didn't want to be a BDFL... but effectively he was and maybe
Guido doesn't really want the title either) where they continued to grow
and evolve.  The community consists of many people who are idealistic
yet practical, generally more friendly than the average speaker of the
"other" language, and who firmly believe that the rest of the world
would be better off if more people would just get with the program and
use their language more widely.  I could go on.  No, don't worry, I
won't!  ;-)

Oh, wait a minute... the headquarters of the World Esperanto Association
is in the Netherlands... and you notice how you never see Van Rossum and
Zamenhof in the same place at the same time?  Uh-oh, I think I may
become a target of the time-travelling Python underground now that I've
fig..ds(#349213482372.... CARRIER LOST

esperante-kaj-pitoneske-via-<okulsigno>
--
Petro HANSEN