Public Domain Python

Quinn Dunkan quinn at ngwee.ugcs.caltech.edu
Sun Sep 10 20:48:21 EDT 2000

The subject seems to have quickly drifted from my original question (which was
only half in jest).  I gather CNRI has the copyright, so they're the only ones
who could give it up.  Since they don't make any money on python, and are
spending money on lawyers to keep from getting sued or whatever, it seems they
shouldn't have any big reason to not make python pd (no one can sue you for pd
software, is that correct?).  And now there's these "Python's License Woes"
stories everywhere, followed by pages of comments saying "copyright this,
litigation that, rms is a spiny horned toad, etc.", which will probably all go
away pretty soon... but still, you don't see these things happening to icon,
do you? :)  I guess people just like to talk about that sort of thing, so it's
not like they're words that would have otherwise been, say, documenting zope
:)

While the Lords and Ladies of CNRI probably don't read this group (or if they
do, they keep a low profile :), perhaps some other people know why giving up
copyright completely doesn't appeal to them.

I apologize in advance if someone has answered the question and my news server
ate it.