What is Python?

R. A. griff at netdoor.com
Mon Sep 18 12:49:42 EDT 2000

When I was told to pick up Java real quick-like for a project, I had
trouble with the fact that I don't have a CS degree or equivalent
experience, and that the Java tutorials I encountered assumed a greater
platform of knowledge on my part.

I turned to Perl for points of comparison, which did help me understand
more of what the Java authors assumed I'd have a good grasp of.  Still,
there was struggle with the assumption that I knew a bit more than I
already did.

About this time, I accidentally stumbled across some informative (and
hilarious) articles about Python and downloaded it just to see what the
fuss was all about.  Within minutes I had IDLE open and the
walk-through-ish tutorial that comes with it open, and I was coding.
And I understood it.  And I began to improvise.... and it worked!

EMAHO and success!!

Now my friends have downloaded Python, and we have a PIGgie (Python
Interest Group) in operation.

What is Python?  Python is the scripting language that helped me not to
feel so ignorant, and it is now a part of my day-to-day work, as I
constantly think of Python when discussing how to go about some new
task.

Grateful to Guido,
Rob Andrews