Questions about encryption

Gustaf Liljegren gustafl at algonet.se
Sun Sep 10 19:34:55 EDT 2000

I found myself needing encryption for a file with user info, but know
almost nothing about the principles, so here's some very basic questions
about encryption in Python. Links for getting started with encryption
understanding is also appreciated. But no specs please. :-)

1. The Library describes how to encrypt strings using for example the md5
and sha modules, but I find no information about decrypt the same strings!
The rotor module seem to handle decryption too, but also seem more
complicated to use.

2. Is it possible to encrypt a file from one script and decrypt it from
another?

3. The two scripts in question use dictionaries as datatypes internally.
Does an encyption feature suggest a choise of another datatype, or can the
conversion between string <-> dictionary be easily accomplished?

Regards,

Gustaf Liljegren, Sweden