Public Domain Python

Gregor Hoffleit gregor at hoffleit.de
Sun Sep 10 03:39:52 EDT 2000

On Sat, Sep 09, 2000 at 02:49:13PM +0000, Robert wrote:
> Nope...Python is doing fine as it is. It matters not to me if RMS thinks
> different since I use Python on another distro anyway. The software I make
> is GPL'd my IDE of choice does not need to be.

It would matter to you, though, if somebody would sue you for infringing his
copyright. This *might* happen if you're using/linking/distributing his GPL
code with Python 1.6 code, and if the new Python 1.6 is indeed legally
incompatible with the GPL. Examples of GPL code that are frequently used
with Python are GNU Readline (responsible for Python's command line
history), GNU Gdbm, the binding to GTK etc.pp.

So if you claim that it doesn't matter to you, you're basically saying "I
don't care about whether it's legal or illegal to do this and that."
(somewhat oversimplified ;-)

So you should notice that needs to resolved, somehow.

    Gregor