Windows user needs to tell Unix admin what to install...help

cstrom at my-deja.com cstrom at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 1 15:45:24 EDT 2000

Our admin has agreed to install python on our unix development box.  I
am a unix newbie (have used/installed Python only in a Windows
environment) and would like to make sure we get all the pieces
installed.  Can anyone give me a "for dummies" overview of the
procedure so I can help him get all the right stuff?  Eg, I don't know
if IDLE comes in the "tar file" or whatever.  Do all the modules come
by default (all the non 3rd party modules, like for sockets etc).  I
assume also that we must get the source code and build it
all...anything to watch out for here?  We are using an older C++
compiler (I don't think it even has bool) and I'm worried about it
having build problems.  Etc etc.  I'd like this to go as smoothly as
possible since I am the only Python advocate here (at this point) among
many Perl users...

Many thanks for any hints.

Running SunOS Version 5.6
Compiler is CC version 4.2