To 'with' or not to 'with': how is the question ?

Jason Cunliffe jasonic at nomadicsltd.com
Fri Sep 1 16:03:18 EDT 2000

ouchdamn.. my 'with' example should have read

<quote>
For example in VBScript:

Set evilcommondocument = CreateObject("Word.Document")

With evilcommondocument   <<<
    .AutoHyphenation = True
    .PrintPreview
    evilcommondocument.Close
End With

Set evilcommondocument = Nothing
</quote>

Jason CUNLIFFE = NOMADICS.(Interactive Art and Technology).Design Director

Jason Cunliffe <jasonic at nomadicsltd.com> wrote in message
news:sr00vou1c5d18 at corp.supernews.com...
> Hello
>
> In ActionScript, JavaScript and VBScript, there is the 'with' operator
> torefer to the same piece of code many times..
>
> For example in VBScript:
>
> Set evilcommondocument = CreateObject("Word.Document")
>
> With lovelyobject
>     .AutoHyphenation = True
>     .PrintPreview
>     evilcommondocument.Close
> End With
>
> Set evilcommondocument = Nothing
>
> This works for longer more nested objects.properties lumps also, where it
is
> a very nice feature I find.
> In Zope there is also the similar tag <dtml-with> which focuses the
> namespace..
>
> How could / would /should  you do you do this in Python?.. or don't you..?
> Caveats?
>
> We are working on a project where we are interfacing Flash to Zope via
> Python External methods and Berkeley.
> Very nice.. As much as possible we are trying to move the end-user logic
> the client where it belongs.
> Flash5 is great for this both visually and now script-wise. Zope though
> wonderful in some respects [ZODB yes] is a concept based on constant
server
> access. Experience with hideous DTML and its impossible documentation, has
> further encouraged us to avoid Zope-side scripting as much as possible,
and
> just enjoy its other excellent features. Python External methods I like
very
> much - you don't have to start the !@$# server and source updates are fast
> because the dtml methods are only links not objects.
>
> To speed up workflow and development I am looking for ways to make code on
> both client and server to be as easy as possible to read and maintain.
This
> means reducing typing, aiming for more symmetrical code style etc.. Not
> fanatical, just seeking a saner work base for the next year of project
> development. ActionScript [in latest version Flash 5] is now partly
ECMA-262