Does Python 2.0b1 support https on Windows?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Sep 6 14:06:38 EDT 2000

Geoff Talvola <gtalvola at nameconnector.com> writes:
> I remember reading that support for OpenSSL and https was added into
> socket, urllib and httplib in Python 1.6, but I don't see any mention of
> it in the Python 2.0b1 release document.  Does anyone know if it's in
> there?  Does it work on Windows NT?  Do I have to compile a special
> version of Python to enable this stuff or does the regular Windows
> installer include ssl and https support?

It's in there.  I don't know if anyone has tried it on Windows, but
hopefully ActiveState or BeOpen or someone will include it in their
precompiled versions (especially since RSA Security Inc. has announced
that they'll no longer enforce the RSA patent as of today -- ooh,
they're losing out on a whole two weeks!).

(Personally I thought it was a mistake to add it to the socket module.
Complete SSL support requires a really large API, which would make
socketmodule.c huge and unmaintainable.  Leaving it to an external
package such as M2Crypto, which can do the job properly, seems better
than doing a partial hack in the socket module.)

--amk