Colorized HTML from Python source

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Wed Sep 27 04:42:57 EDT 2000

In article <slrn8t1ki8.9b4.insyte at petra.squad51.net>,
	insyte at petra.squad51.net () writes:
>>> I know I've seen several sites with very nicely colorized Python source
>>> code.  They all seem to be using the same engine to do this, but I can't
>>> seem to track it down.  Is there a standard utility for reading Python
>>> source and producing a spiffy colorized HTML version?
>>
>>As an unabashed and incurable Vim bigot, I must point out that Vim lets you
>>define whatever highlighting you want.  Then you can choose Syntax->Convert
>>to HTML to get an HTML version of your file with the same highlighting.
>
> As an unabashed and incurable Vim bigot, I would be extremely interested
> in the specifics of how to do what you are describing.  I have not used
> syntax highlighting very much...

Take a modern vim with syntax highlighting compiled in.
(Check vim --version, it should say +syntax.)

Even better start up the gvim.
There is a menu Syntax, which an item called: "Convert to HTML".

If you do not run gvim, you can also trigger this vim script
manually, like ":so $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/2html.vim".
	Bernhard

The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)