Please explain why python rocks...

Nick Efford nde at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Wed Sep 6 08:43:40 EDT 2000

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 05:39:12 GMT, Rainer Deyke <root at rainerdeyke.com> wrote:
> "nemir" <nemir.remove at hotmail.spamenot.com> wrote in message
> news:8FA79908Enemiria at 139.130.239.94...
> >
> > I consider Perl, I consider C++ (or even d-flat... bleyech), I consider
> > Java, I consider javascript.
>
> Java is basically a simplified C++.  It is safer than C++, but also less
> powerful.  This would actually be a tolerable choice.  Python is better,
> though, mostly because it is more flexible and powerful.

Java safe than C++?  Yes.  Simpler?  In some ways, but not in
others; just compare Java and C++ solutions to the task of parsing
a text file containing a list of integer values, for example.
Java is very powerful and flexible, but all of that comes from a
large number of (often very) complicated APIs.  Getting to
grips with these - which you must do in order to do anything
remotely useful - is not easy.

I'm starting to use Python a lot because it seems to offer a
great deal of power and flexibility without Java's painful
verbosity.

> In general, Python is a good choice because it is both powerful and easy to
> learn.

Yes - and the only way to really appreciate this is to play
with it!

Nick