NULL vs. None and MySQLdb

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Tue Sep 19 12:00:08 EDT 2000

In article <39c705e1.115957469 at news.alaska.net>,
Geoffrey L. Wright <geoff.nospam at northernwastes.org> wrote:
>On 18 Sep 2000 19:15:07 -0700, aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) wrote:
>>
>>None is the Python equivalent of NULL; what's wrong with None?
>
>Well ... I'm passing the the result contents of str(row) strait back
>to MySQL -- so that my SQL literally ends up reading something like:
>
>  INSERT INTO tableName
>    (column1, column2, column3, column4)
>  VALUES
>    ('ohNo', 'hereIt', 'comes', None)
>
>And the problem is the MySQL chokes on the unquoted "None", whereas it
>would just treat NULL as ... well ... NULL.

If that's all you're doing, why make the Python round-trip?  Doesn't
MySQL have a way to do something like

INSERT INTO x (col1, col2, col3)
SELECT col1, col2, col3
FROM y
WHERE col4 = 'foo'

Note that I know nothing about MySQL in specific.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.  --Aahz