bytecode -> code object

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 14 12:09:11 EDT 2000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, dr. franken wrote:

> I feed Py_CompileString with python source, and I get a code object - fine.
> But how do I get a code object from (a string containing) python bytecode?

Look at the 'new' module. If you want to do it from C, then take
a look at newmodule.c to see how it's done.

>>> import new
>>> print new.__doc__
Functions to create new objects used by the interpreter.

You need to know a great deal about the interpreter to use this!
>>> dir(new)
['__doc__', '__file__', '__name__', 'classobj', 'code', 'function',
'instance',
'instancemethod', 'module']
>>> print new.code.__doc__
Create a code object from (ARGCOUNT, NLOCALS, STACKSIZE, FLAGS,
CODESTRING, CONSTANTS, NAMES, VARNAMES, FILENAME, NAME, FIRSTLINENO, LNOTAB).

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."