Pythonpath on w98

Larry Whitley ldwhitley at home.com
Sat Sep 23 10:36:35 EDT 2000

I'd like to be able to say

python xxx.py

from the command line in any directory on my w98 laptop.

I've added the python directory to the path and am finding python.exe
without problem.

It's my guess that Python wants to look in PYTHONPATH for the location of
xxx.py.   But, I defined PYTHONPATH and set it equal to the directory
containing xxx.py but it did no good (set PYTHONPATH=c:\Utility\Python). I
have Python 1.6 and PythonWin installed.  When I look at the registry a
PythonPath key and several subkeys are defined under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Python/PythonCore/1.6/PythonPath.  So whatever I
do with PYTHONPATH, I don't want to screw up those entries.

Suggestions?
Larry