Python 2.0b1 is released!

Grant Griffin g2 at seebelow.org
Sat Sep 9 10:33:12 EDT 2000

Stuart Ford wrote:

> > >   - Augmented assignment, e.g. x += 1
> >
> > I cannot resist saying that I still consider this an archane "C" -like
> > feature which should be better solved with the replace or macro
> > function of the editor. I always liked the clearness of the normal
> > x = x + 1
> >

> I have been wanting this feature in Python for ages... as I tend to use very
> long
> variable names from time to time and it's a bit of a pain to type..
>
> FoundationAngleComputationValue = FoundationAngleComputationValue * 1.035

I agree.  Augmented assignment is also a lot more "mnemonic": once
you're familiar with the concept (as virtually all Python programmers
probably are...), then it conveys "meaning" without having to mentally
"decode" the statement.

simple-is-better-than-complex;-complex-is-better-than-complicated;
  -readability-counts-(which-is-not-to-say-that-there-shouldn't-be
  -one--and-preferably-only-one--obvious-way-to-do-things-<wink>)
  -ly y'rs,

=g2

Grant R. Griffin                                       g2 at dspguru.com
Iowegian International Corporation	      http://www.iowegian.com