Python 1.6 The balanced language

Neel Krishnaswami neelk at brick.cswv.com
Tue Sep 12 21:00:49 EDT 2000

Tim Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> wrote:

> Jcon is to Icon as JPython is to CPython.  While Icon's
> coexpressions are spottily implemented across "real machines"
> <wink>, via excruciating platform-specific assembler to fool the C
> stack, Jcon simply implements them on top of Java threads.  So the
> JVM doesn't really enter into it for them (no more than the PVM
> enters into my ancient thread-based coroutine pkg for Python).
>
> you-didn't-say-anything-about-being-usably-fast<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim

If I understand things correctly (which I very well may not), most
Java implementations have "green threads" by default -- ie, threads
that don't map 1-for-1 to OS threads. So I don't see any fundamental
reason why these threads should be any slower than, say, microthreads
for Stackless.

This would imply a different implementation strategy for J-Stackless
vis-a-vis C-Stackless, but so what? Am I misunderstanding something
basic?

Neel