Win98 2.0b: crash on Help

Kirby Urner urner at alumni.princeton.edu
Sun Sep 10 01:45:05 EDT 2000

I'm not posting this as an official bug as it may be just a problem
with my own system, but thought I'd garner some feedback.

In 2.0b IDLE 0.6 under Win98, when I select Help | Python Documentation,
I get an amazingly serious crash.  A couple blue screens of death
followed by a switch into some undefined video mode. Have to reboot.
This is on an AMD K2 400, 128RAM, Voodoo3 graphics.

Normally, this action is supposed to boot the web browser of course.
My browser works fine, and if I click on the index.html (documentation
root page), I have no problems accessing the docs (handsome color
scheme).

This feature worked in 1.6b (used to drop us to DOS box in versions
prior).  Could be there's something about the sequence of my new
install (add 2.0b, remove 1.6b, reinstall 2.0b) that screwed up
the registry or something.  So far, 2.0b has been smooth otherwise
(haven't done a whole lot with it yet).

Anyway, other Win98/2.0b users having any trouble with booting Help
Docs from within IDLE??

Kirby

PS:  I run 1.5.2 in Linux using newest Gnome Helix desktop. and
plan to upgrade to 2.0b shortly (Povray has versions for both
platforms, so I'm able to do my K-12 curriculum writing in
both systems to check for cross-platform compatibility (using
same .py files (FAT32 partitions mounted in Mandrake)).