[Fwd: Re: timeouts (Was: checking an ip)]

Radovan Garabik garabik at atlas13.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk
Thu Sep 14 10:58:35 EDT 2000

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 03:28:08PM +0200, Peter Schneider-Kamp wrote:

> I have proposed the inclusion of Timothy O'Malley's timeoutsocket.py
> into the standard socket module on python-dev, but there has not been
> a single reply in four weeks.
>
> http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-August/015111.html
>
> I think there are four possibilities:
> 1) add a timeoutsocket class to Lib/timeoutsocket.py

why not, it won't break anything
but timeoutsocket.py needs a bit of "polishing" in this case
and some testing... I had some strange errors on WinNT
with timeout_socket (everything worked flawlessly on linux),
but unfortunately I am now away from that (or any other Winnt) computer
and cannot do any tests.

> 2) add a timeoutsocket class to Lib/socket.py

possible

> 3) replace the socket class in Lib/socket.py

this could break some applications... especially
if you play with changing blocking/nonblocking status of socket
in them

> 4) wait until the interval is down to one day

5) add timeouts at the C level to socketmodule

this would be probably the right solution, but
rather difficult to write.

and, of course, both timeout_socket and timeoutsocket
should be looked at rather closely. (I dismantled
timeout_socket when I was hunting bugs in it, but have not
done it with timeoutsocket)