SWIG help for newbie

Charles Medcoff cmedcoff at my-deja.com
Mon Sep 25 19:18:52 EDT 2000

> But, I know how you feel because I had to take on CVS, SWIG, Python
> extentions, and an in-development library all at once.  I am still
> plugging away learning lots of new thingeys.  SWIG was the easy part.

Yeah me too.  I have been going through all of that over the last
couple of weeks.

By the way I did figure out my linker error.  This is something that
you or any Visual Studio user might be interested in.  I used the
script compile.py (available off the net or the Python Win32 book CD)
for generating a Visual Studio project/workspace. Unbeknownst to me
creates linker settings for exporting a function that you name in the
setup.in file (e.g. initSpam). If after this you decide to change to
using the -c++ option of swig the name of the generated module changes
(e.g. initSpamc) but your linker settings don't.  This creates the
phantom symbol (initSpam) that I've been chasing.  I don't know why
this linker setting is put in the project since code generated by SWIG
for export uses the declspec for exporting the desired symbol.

Thanks.
Chuck

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.