Setting The Path

No Strezzz Cazzz PCP at cazzz.demon.nl
Tue Sep 12 08:24:15 EDT 2000

Peter Hansen wrote in message <39BDA7BC.41D8108 at engcorp.com>...
>Alex Martelli wrote:
>>
>> Yes.  After the closing %, add a semicolon, then the full path to
>> the location of python's exe, i.e. in your case
>>
>>     C:\ProgramFiles\Coding\Python
>>
>> Note that it's likely you have a space between "Program" and "Files",
>> which is trouble for some programs.  So use the shortform instead:
>>
>>     C:\Progra~1\Coding\Python
>>
>> (it's likely that Progra~1 is the shortform of "Program Files", but
>> I can't guarantee it; use the DIR command on C:\ in a command
>> box to check).
>
>DIR alone is not enough on Windows Nice Try (NT).  Use "DIR /X", which
>according to the output of "DIR /?" works like this:
>
>  /X  This displays the short names generated for non-8dot3 file
>      names.  The format is that of /N with the short name inserted
>      before the long name. If no short name is present, blanks are
>      displayed in its place

Thank you, both Alex and Peter. "Dir /X" did show "PROGRA~1 So I set the
Path to:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\progra~1\CoDiNg\Python\

That didn't work, so I tried settig it to:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;C:\progra~1\CoDiNg\Python\python.exe

That also didn't work. (I also tried to set the path without
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot% in front of it.

When I want to run/execute the script (some lines of Python code written in
wordpad and saved as test.py) I keep getting the message that Windows cannot
find Program.exe And it asks me to specify the "Location of Program.exe" So
I tried to fill in both paths as shown above but that just won't work.
Nothings seems to work.

Now I really appreciate all your help but I hate trying to look like a
little kid that just keeps asking for stuff without trying anything myself.
I did try all that I could think of that might solve this problem, but that
abviously was not enough. And Dick Baldwin warned about watching out while
setting the Path, because if you don't do it properly it could give some
complications. LOL now I know Windows (even NT) is a complication itself but
I really want to be carefull with that. So if you have any more ideas please
let me know. I can't wait to execute my first script. Thanks all !!

-Casper