Newbie looking for feedback

Tyler Eaves tyler at tylereaves.com
Fri Sep 15 00:51:12 EDT 2000

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000 04:43:52 GMT, David Lees
<debl.spamnono at world.std.com> wrote:

Still sorta a newbie myself, but here's my take.

in=open('C:\\foo.txt','r').readlines()
#Opens the input file and reads each line into a list entry
out=open('C:\\bar.txt','w')
#Open output file
for x in in[:]:
#Loop once for every line
	if len(x)>1:
	#Test to see if the line has anything....
		out.write(x)
		#It does! Write it!

#Done!
(5 lines of active code that gets the job done!)

>Two questions.  First, I have written a real simple Python routine to
>remove blank lines from a text file.  The code below works but...
>
>1. I am sure this can be written much more simply, any hints?
>2. Could someone point me to documentation or tell me how to use IDLE
>under Windows to single step through the code.  It was a pain debugging
>by executing the whole script as a run module command to IDLE.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>david lees
>

>import string
>
>fin=open("c:\\foo.txt","r")