Fractal Dimension Computation in Python Code

Mike Brenner mikeb at mitre.org
Sat Sep 30 19:42:09 EDT 2000

>> Yes, the shadow explanation is approximate. A reference is Federer: Geometric Measure Theory.

> Can you tell me the page in Federer?  It's kind of a big book. When I was doing Calculus of Variations, it was a running joke with my advisor that any time you were too lazy to look up a reference, you could just cite Federer. :)

I must have met your advisor somewhere a long the way, because that was
what I was doing. Federer is good to quote because just about everything
is in his GMT and he was out of print for so many years, but he is in
reprint now and can be purchased.

A picture of the intuitive swiss-cheese/ shadow story you can tell about
the primitive form of the Hausdorff measure appears at the beginning of
Morgan's book Introduction to Geometric Measure Theory.