Debugging ActiveX Control Events in wxPython/PythonWin

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Sep 4 17:13:48 EDT 2000

"Charles Medcoff" <cmedcoff at sprynet.com> writes:

> I'll take any advice you have on how I might sell this idea to
> project and engineering managers.  Seriously.

Well, I suppose I sort of said most of what I'd say in my last post :-)

As a developer, I find a cogent argument in the fact that I have
complete source to all aspects of the system I am using (even those I
did not originate), and that I know that I have a user base of
like-minded developers that I can draw upon when I have questions
(whether though a news group like this, or mailing lists, or other
forums).  In my personal past experience that has proven even more
effective at resolving problems than most of my commercial "support"
contracts for other products I may use.

> I knew when I wrote my earlier post that this sort of feedback would be
> coming.  I know that I should be more proactive instead of "whining".  I
> deserve this and I apologize.  In many ways you are right.

Oh, don't take my comments harshly or anything - I was just offering
another "bullet" to keep in your gun during discussions, not trying to
minimize the validity of wanting to use an external, commercially
supported product.  I don't personally see that as "whining" (although
some open-source projects seem to at times) - I can certainly
understand the pragmatism of needing that in some cases to sell the
use of a system within a company.

In fact on one hand, that very need is part of the hope of open source
projects, since selling such support can be a way of producing income
when the project itself isn't being sold.

--
-- David