Python 1.6 The balanced language

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Sep 4 11:51:06 EDT 2000

In article <jxA5bUAH21s5EwrP at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk>,
Robin Becker  <robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <LNBBLJKPBEHFEDALKOLCMENEHDAA.tim_one at email.msn.com>, Tim
>Peters <tim_one at email.msn.com> writes
>>
>>Guido already knows how to implement generators without Stackless, and
>>indeed that's (ironically enough!) one of Stackless's problems with getting
>>into the core:  the one pretty compelling use with broad appeal (iteration a
>>la CLU and Sather) can be implemented straightforwardly without Stackless.
>>Generators are also much more usable if a little syntax is added to support
>>them (like a "suspend" stmt, as in Icon too).
>
>I know the thread implementation of coroutines, but what about ease of
>use/efficiency? I see that under win32 even the improved thread
>implementation is about a 10-20% hit and with coroutines I get to a
>generator from a traversal routine very easily without any intermediate
>data structures. As for iterators the straightforward approach seems to
>escape me, but that's probably lack of imagination.

Note that Tim said nothing about coroutines or threads above.  We were
talking strictly about generators, which are pretty easy to do -- we
just need to agree on an implementation and interface for integrating
them into the langauge.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6

Goodbye dinner for Netcom shell, Thurs 9/7, 7:30pm, Mountain View, CA
e-mail me for details