raw_input weirdness -- shell's fault?

Matthew Dixon Cowles matt at mondoinfo.com
Tue Sep 5 21:11:09 EDT 2000

On Wed, 06 Sep 2000 00:45:07 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One
<jonadab at bright.net> wrote:

>I'm getting some weirdness when calling a python script that
>does raw_input.  It works okay from COMMAND.COM, but when I
>call it from eshell I get this...

[...]

>That is, the prompts weren't printed until the script
>exited.

It seems that Python isn't flushing its output buffer, presumably
because it doesn't know that it's running interactively. I don't know
enough about NT to know why that might be but running Python as

python -u

forces stdin, stdout, and stderr to be unbuffered and should help. So
should putting a

sys.stdout.flush()

after your print statements.

Regards,