distributing python

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Fri Sep 29 10:21:03 EDT 2000

"Matthew Banham" <matb at photond.com> writes:
> I have just finished writing my nice tcp/ip client using python (hurrah!).
> Anyway, am I allowed to distribute python with my app? If there is some
> legal stuff that I have to do, what is it and how do I do it?

The answers to your question are "yes, you can distribute Python", and
"no, you don't have to do any legal stuff".  Since you later mention
you're using 1.6, the 1.6 license says you can "reproduce, ... perform
and/or display publicly, prepare derivative works, distribute, and
otherwise use Python 1.6 alone or in any derivative version ...", the
only requirement being that you leave CNRI's copyright notice in
there.  So you're fine.

--amk