Newbie question

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Mon Sep 4 21:55:52 EDT 2000

sp00fD <sp00fD at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > This may sound stupid but im realy new to programming and i
> > dont know what a text editor is. I need to know what a text
> > editor is so i can creat module
> > files in the future.
>
> Just had to say....
>
> Good god damn thing that you didn't start off with Perl, 'cuz the perl
> newgroupies would have flamed you 'til the ends of the earth! ;)

Nah.  I've been using Perl for a while and have only just decided
to learn Python, and I'd have immediately told him to go download
PFE (Programmer's File Editor)[1] because Notepad is so...  well,
you know what Notepad is like.

Unless he'd crossposted it to about twelve groups
three or four times each or some nonsense.  THEN I
might have, if I'd been in an especially crochety mood,
told him to go download vim, heh, heh, heh.  ("Unless
you want to use DEBUG, but that's a pain...")  But
someone[2] surely would have replied and told him otherwise.

[1] I don't use PFE anymore myself since I learned elisp,
    but I wouldn't tell someone who doesn't know what a
    text editor is to try to learn Emacs; that's sadistic.
    Plus these days it's almost fifty megabytes, so you
    have to really need the power.

[2] Quite possibly myself a few moments later.

- jonadab