Public Domain Python

Andrew Dalke dalke at acm.org
Sun Sep 17 23:35:50 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin:
>Wouldn't it be nice if the original CWI license had some kind of
>copyleft-style clause that applied *only* to its next official caretaker
>(that being CNRI), but left the _rest_ of us free to do with Python
>whatever we wanted?  Then, the same sort of thing would now apply to
>BeOpen.

Wait - I think you've got something there.  According to CNRI, a problem
with the CWI license is it didn't prevent existing licensees from
have the terms changed underneath them, retroactively.  If that's the
case, then maybe we can pursuase CWI to include a retroactive statement
which voids CNRI's Virginia clause.

Just a thought :)

                    Andrew