Which IP Address do i use?

lynx a at b.c
Thu Sep 28 21:49:42 EDT 2000

pythonslut at my-deja.com, in <8qvu9l$baf$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>:

> I was thinking about having 5 modems dialing out on one box. (5
> different phone lines, 5 different isp logins.)

well, if that's the sort of thing you like...

> When requesting an html page, how can you tell pyhton which modem to
> use?

why should you need tell _python_ that? shouldn't you be able to
configure your network stack and/or routing software to make that
decision for you? or are you trying to route traffic based on some
unusual criterion, such as content?

in either case, i really think this decision is best taken at a
much lower layer than the data-requesting application. i'm not even
sure if the standard sockets APIs will allow you to bind outgoing
connections to certain hardware interfaces; perhaps, but if so i'd
expect that to be documented along with the rest of your sockets api.

(i know you can bind listening, incoming connections this way. perhaps
there's some weird way for you to reverse matters, have the remote
sources contact you? but that would likely be an application-level thing.)