Language wrappers

Jordi Inglada jordi.inglada at ieee.org
Sat Sep 23 07:22:52 EDT 2000

In article <39CAB699.747E950E at home.com>,
  Kevin Russell <krussell4 at home.com> wrote:
> Jordi Inglada wrote:
> > I am looking for modules which wrap other languages son they can be
used
> > in python scripts. I am thinking about using a prolog kernel or a
> > clisp inference engine, though others are also welcome (scheme,
haskell,
> > ...).
>
> Not sure whether you're talking about CLIPS or Clisp.  (Don't you just
> hate too similar names for too similar languages?)  Anyway, my
comments
> below should apply to either one.

Actually, I should have written CLIPS, but Common Lisp is also
interesting for my research.

> You probably don't need full-blown SWIG style wrappers for this kind
> of thing.  All the languages you're talking about (Python, CLIPS,

> You can find an example of Python talking to SWI Prolog using pipes
> -- look for the Pylog module on the Vaults of Parnassus.  If you want,
> I can send you a sort of similar example of Python talking to Sicstus
> Prolog using sockets.

I am interested in taking a look to an example like this one. I thought
that making the two interpreters "talk" through pipes or even sockets
would be too complex. That's why I am also evaluating the possibility of
using the erlang module for python (by the way, has anybody used it
succesfully?).

About the SWIG possibility, I remember hearing about an equivalent more
suitable for C++ libraries, but I can't find a proper reference to it.

> Finally, if you only need pretty basic expert system capabilities,
> you might consider using the Holmes package written by Mark Lutz
> entirely in Python.

This one seems interesting. I will take a look at it.

Another question. What are Python capabilities for implementing
functional programming (a la Lisp, Scheme, Haskell, ...). Can anybody
give me a pointer to such a comparison?

Thanks a lot.

--
Jordi Inglada - PhD Student