Public Domain Python

Martin von Loewis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 11 05:29:59 EDT 2000

Gregor Hoffleit <gregor at hoffleit.de> writes:

> It would matter to you, though, if somebody would sue you for infringing his
> copyright.
[...]
> So if you claim that it doesn't matter to you, you're basically saying "I
> don't care about whether it's legal or illegal to do this and that."

There are two other reasons why it might not matter:

1. "I know I'm breaking the GPL by integrating readline with Python
    in my RedHat 7.5 distribution. However, since Python is free
    software, I doubt the authors of the GPL will sue me - especially
    as the FSF is the author of readline."

2. "I know he thinks I'm infringing his copyright, but I doubt that
   this claim will stand a court trial - as it's only grounds is the
   choice of law clause."

Regards,
Martin