Python 2.0b1 is released!

Bernhard Reiter breiter at usf.Uni-Osnabrueck.DE
Wed Sep 6 08:12:27 EDT 2000

In article <200009060449.XAA02145 at cj20424-a.reston1.va.home.com>,
	Guido van Rossum <guido at beopen.com> writes:
> A unique event in all the history of Python: two releases on the same
> day!  (At least in my timezone. :-)

Congratulations.

>   - Augmented assignment, e.g. x += 1

I cannot resist saying that I still consider this an archane "C" -like
feature which should be better solved with the replace or macro
function of the editor. I always liked the clearness of the normal
	x = x + 1

Just my personal opinion. I guess it has all been discussed by the
developers for the good. :)

>   - Extended print statement, e.g. print >> file, "Hello"

I am not sure that I like this one ether.

> There's one bit of sad news: according to Richard Stallman, this
> version is no more compatible with the GPL than version 1.6

Please make sure that this is resolved soon and python will be GPL
compatible. Otherwise python will loose a lot of attraction for the
free software community.

Thanks again for developing Python,
	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project				            (freegis.org)