newbie books

Kragen Sitaker kragen at dnaco.net
Sat Sep 16 16:42:28 EDT 2000

In article <8q0ibr$dtc$1 at panix2.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch <aahz at panix.com> wrote:
>Currently, the only book available for non-programmers is the SAMS book
>_Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours_ (that is, 24 one-hour lessons, not
>one day) by Ivan van Laningham.
>
>Disclaimer: I was the technical editor for that book.

Is it a good book?  I have been extremely unimpressed with previous
Teach Yourself to Be an Unleashed Dummy in 24 Hours books I've seen,
but I'd expect this to be of higher quality due to your involvement.

It seems that Python texts for non-programmers should be a very high
priority; Python is perhaps the best language currently available for
new programmers, with the possible exceptions of Scheme and assembler.
--
<kragen at pobox.com>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
Perilous to all of us are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves