Please explain why python rocks...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Sep 7 10:23:20 EDT 2000

Frank Mitchell wrote:

[snip]

> Frank
>
> P.S. At the risk of starting a flamewar, I do get miffed when people assume
> Java == dog slow.  JVMs are getting faster all the time, and if you really
> need speed there are bytecode-to-native compilers out there ... not to
> mention JNI for the truly critical sections (taking a page from Python).
> And sometimes people say Java is "slow" because they're using a dog-slow
> algorithm, or at least don't understand how to use the APIs efficiently.

There's also a lot of hope with the just-in-time compilation technology.
The big problem with Java for me is precisely the exponential growth in
APIs.  I did some experimentation two or three years ago, but now there's
a LOT to learn, which has meant I personally have left Java alone.

If you need a faster processor, there'll always "be another one along
in half an hour".  Programming systems have been consuming more and more
resources over the last fifty years, usually in the interest of increased
developer productivity and ease-of-use for the end-user.  Java continues
this line of development, but I can't help feeling that it's getting to
be bloatware.

Perhaps I'm getting (too) old...

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/