Reading CD-ROM info

Carel Fellinger cfelling at iae.nl
Wed Sep 6 16:22:09 EDT 2000

Thomas Weholt <thomas at cintra.no> wrote:
> Hi,

> Just read thru the CD-Writing HowTo for Linux and it contained a section
> about reading out information stored on cd-roms like title, creation-date
> etc. Didn't look that hard, but not knowing C++ at all making a module
> myself would take some time, even years. :-<

> Does anybody know if there is a python-module working under linux ( I guess
> a couple of API calls under Win32 should get the info too but that doesn't
> help under linux ) that can extract the available information? If not, does

You could take a look at

   CDDB.py <http://csl.cse.ucsc.edu/~ben/python/CDDB-1.1.tar.gz>

It has a small c function that reads an index from the cd.
I once adapted it to read something else, and if turned out to be
fairly trivial (as lang as you don't try to make it run an any cd-drive).
Just look for other linux programs (xcdroast, cdrecord) that read
the info you need and steel their code:)

--
groetjes, carel