Python 2.0 naive question

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Sep 21 01:22:16 EDT 2000

I've tried to follow the recent discussions regarding Python 2.0b1, but I
am left with a question.

Is there a downside to moving from 1.5.2 to 2.0b1?  I run Python both on
Win32 and on Linux.  Are .pyd files upward compatible, or do I need a whole
new set?  Are there many changes which will break old source?  Will the new
Python recompile .pyc's, or can it just read the old ones?

There are only a few added modules that are important to me.  Numpy already
indicates support for 2.0.  HTMLgen has complete source code, so that
should be a no-brainer.  What about mySqlDb?

When perl went from 3.0 to 4.0, it was such a huge rethink that I stayed on
3.0 for longer than I should have.  I'd like to know if the same kind of
thing is true here.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.