Python 1.6 The balanced language

Tim Peters tim_one at email.msn.com
Sun Sep 3 18:57:42 EDT 2000

[Neel Krishnaswami]
> Mutable state is not necessary [for a language to be "OO"] -- in
> both Dylan and Ocaml, it's common to >write code in an "object-
> functional" style, with lots of objects but no mutation.

[Manuel Gutierrez]
> I don't understand this.

That's OK:  on comp.lang.python, you don't have to, as objects with mutable
state are close to the heart of Guido's conception of OO.  There's no danger
he'll ever give that up in favor of elegance <wink>.

if-the-real-world-were-functional-we-wouldn't-bother-to-eat-ly
    y'rs  - tim, wiping ice cream off his chin