Is Python worth learning?

Weiqi Gao weiqigao at networkusa.net
Sun Sep 3 23:20:45 EDT 2000

Crow and Servo wrote:

> I am fairly new to Python.  I have been using VB, C++, and Java most of my
> life.  I am debating whether it is worth learning Python over just sticking
> with Java.  It seems Python does not have any real good DB support for MS SQL
> server (at least not that I can find online and free).

I'm a Java programmer who's learning Python.  It's definitely worth the
time.  I'm interested in Python just as another language.  I don't care
about DB support.  Actually I'm learning Python AND sticking with Java
at the same time.

> Is Python going to give Java a run for its money someday, or does Java have too
> much of a lead?

If you look five years out, yes. But a lot can happen in five years.
Right now there is no compelling reason to ABANDON Java AND ADOPT
Python.

C was compelling because it is used to program UNIX and Windows.  Perl
was compelling because it is used in CGIs and shell scripts.  Java was
compelling because it supports applets and then servlets and EJBs.
Visual Basic was compelling because it is used to script COM components.

Python will become compelling in some aspects of most corporate
programmers everyday work one of these days.  But I can't think of
something that can be accomplished in Python and in Python alone right
now.  I'm sure the regulars of the list will have plenty of examples.

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao at networkusa.net