Python 1.6 The balanced language

lobozc at my-deja.com lobozc at my-deja.com
Fri Sep 1 19:33:44 EDT 2000

In article <8okvgd013a7 at news1.newsguy.com>,
  "Alex Martelli" <aleaxit at yahoo.com> wrote:
[snip]
> As long as we take "combined" to mean "in the same application",
> rather than "inside the same source-text", I fully agree.  So,
> what we need, for this task as well as many others, is a well-
> balanced, cross-language, cross-platform componentization scheme.
>
> EJB is probably too Java-centric; .NET is probably too Windows-
> centric.  Corba (the classic variant) seems to focus too much on
> issues of distributed computing, rather than of mixing components
> and deploying/reusing components.  Maybe the new 'Corba 3' offers
> hope?  I know little about it, except that it explicitly targets
> components (at long last) and introduces a new dedicated scripting
> language (boo, hiss).  Are there some previews/prototypes allowing
> one to play with it (particularly with Python)...?  What about
> XPCOM -- is it enough of a COM clone to let one do components
> powerfully and portably, or (as is my impression) does it lack
> even more on the scripting/runtime-use-of-components than COM
> proper does; and if the latter, is it still worth taking as a
> starting point...?
>
> Alex

I am afraid that such direction could be dangerous to Python. Creating
and propagating a new - even good - component model requires real
money. It seems more practical to make sure that Python cooperates well
with the existing popular compoment models and platforms. That is Java
and Win. WinNet makes it easier for Python.

The moment Python community starts to expend energy on reinventing the
wheel by writing code already written in other platforms...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.