nntplib timeout bug?

Radovan Garabik garabik at center.fmph.uniba.sk.spam
Tue Sep 12 01:51:57 EDT 2000

v2ng at my-deja.com wrote:
 : I saw a previous  message thread about the urllib library and a problem
 : with timeouts (or actually the lack thereof).

 : I have a similar problem with nntplib.  Sometimes I try fetching an
 : article and the nntp server just stalls for whatever reason.

 : Since I can't seem to kill threads, how should I go about detecting a
 : timeout condition?  Python doesn't seem to ever timeout of trying to get
 : the article from the news server.

check out http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~piers/python/timeout_socket.py
as well as http://www.timo-tasi.org/python/timeoutsocket.py
both authors seem not to know about each other, and
having seen the increasing freuency of questions about socket
timeouts on comp.lang.python, I'd guess a time has come to merge
these two modules and put them into standard library (wishful
thinking :-))