Python 1.6 The balanced language

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Sep 4 14:25:25 EDT 2000

Hartmann Schaffer wrote:

> In article <39AFD71D.134D0FB7 at san.rr.com>, Darren New  <dnew at san.rr.com> wrote:
> >Uh... As I said, that was an Alan Kay quote.  If you don't know, Alan Kay
> >was arguably the guy who *invented* OO. It's hard to see how he could have a
> >hidden agenda against languages that weren't invented at the time.
>
> whe?  before simula?

> Hartmann Schaffer

I think Kay has publicly acknowledged Smalltalk's debt to Simula.  I
don't think anyone claimed Simula was "object-oriented" until Kay
popularized the term in his early papers from Xerox Parc about the
early Dynabook experiments.  IIRC, these were published starting
around 1972.  And, of course, the problem domains of Simula and
Smalltalk were initially very different, even if they had language
features in common.

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/