You can never go down the drain...

John W. Baxter jwbnews at scandaroon.com
Wed Sep 27 10:28:13 EDT 2000

In article <wCgA5.844$d5.51939 at newsb.telia.net>, "Fredrik Lundh"
<effbot at telia.com> wrote:

> But nobody can convince me that line noise is the best way to
> talk to a string matching engine -- as soon as you go beyond the
> regular basics (literals, dot, star, ranges), there are better ways
> to express yourself.

Well, the interface doesn't *have* to be line noise.  The alternative I
had a tiny early part in will strike many here as "verbose:" that was
intentional.  It is verbose:  it is also *highly* readable.  And it
includes a decent solution to greedy vs non-greedy for those who care.

See
http://www.prefab.com/textmachine.html

  --John

John W. Baxter   Port Ludlow, WA USA  jwbnews at scandaroon.com