Python 2.0 naive question

Fredrik Lundh effbot at telia.com
Fri Sep 22 02:54:23 EDT 2000

David Bolen wrote:
> So if Python first looks for a new export that only exists in the new
> version, and aborts - as part of the import - if it doesn't find it,
> it'll never call initXxxx in the 1.5.2 PYD and you avoid the crash.

That falls in the "break every existing Python extension" category
in my previous post.

> Crashing the whole process if you accidentally get a 1.5.2 PYD lying
> around just seems really nasty.

Forcing everyone to rewrite their extensions is also really nasty,
especially given that this is a windows-only problem (most other
platforms have real shared libraries).

Besides, if you're not going to use 1.5.2 any more, all you need
to do is to remove the python15.dll file.  In other words, to make
it crash, you need to have old extensions, AND an old Python
installation, AND path variables set up to point to the old install.

(and based on bug reports, I'd say you're more likely to find your-
self on a Windows 98 box with Norton Antivirus 2000 version 6.10.20
than on a box with multiple misconfigured Python installations ;-)

</F>