CR LF

Jonadab the Unsightly One jonadab at bright.net
Tue Sep 5 07:16:19 EDT 2000

"Alex Martelli" <alex at magenta.com> wrote:

> ...except that if your text includes less-than signs, etc etc, disaster
> looms.
>
> You also need to change < to <, etc, etc (not sure if some standard
> Python
> library module already has that functionality...?).

A series of regular-expression replaces seems to be in order.
I don't (yet!) know Python, but in elisp or Perl this would be
pretty trivial, so I expect Python should be able to do it also.

Something like this elisp...

(replace-string "&" "&")
(replace-string "<" "<")
(replace-string ">" ">")
(replace-string "\"" """)
(replace-regexp "^" "<div>")
(replace-regexp "$" "</div>")

Or, in Perl, ...

s/\&/&/;
s/</</;
s/>/>/;
s/\"/"/;
s/^/<div>/;

Heck, I could do that in under 20 lines of line number BASIC;
it can't be hard in Python, can it?  Okay, if strings are
immutable then your replace-substring function will have to
fake it by making a new string using concatenation, but still...
it sounds easy to me.

- jonadab