What is Python?

Tim Hammerquist tim at degree.ath.cx
Wed Sep 20 13:51:01 EDT 2000

Grant Griffin <g2 at seebelow.org> wrote:
> I'm sure Larry Wall is a nice guy, but his language is pretty mean: it
> has more "$@#!$!" curse words than a "Beetle Bailey" comic strip on one
> of Sarge's bad days. [snipped nauseating pseudo-emot]

Those curse symbols have spoiled me, I admit.  When I can just tell by
looking at a variable whether it's a scalar, array, hash, or function
instead of having to remember how I defined it to begin with, I can
get on with the coding.  This comes in handy in scaled apps when you
can't remember defining it at all.

And I just never got into that whole Visual Basic convention:

	objFoo = Object("Foo")
	fPi = 3.14159
	intTheAnswer = 42
	strAntiChrist = "William Gates"

	def getFunc(str):
		def m_getFunc(str=str):
			print str
		return m_getFunc

	arrScene = []
	arrScene.append( getFunc("Mole: I f***ing hate guard dogs!") )
	arrScene.append( getFunc("Stan: Be careful!") )
	arrScene.append( getFunc("Mole: Was my mother careful when\
		she stabbed me through the heard with a clotheshanger\
		while I was still in the womb?!") )
	for x in arrScene: x()

Ok, that last part was just a little fun, but I hope _someone_ enjoyed
that scene.  It's not exactly Monty Python, but South Park is not to be
slighted.  =)
--
-Tim Hammerquist <timmy at cpan.org>
The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds.