New to Python, Tkinter - Question about Pmw

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Sep 12 09:42:24 EDT 2000

djberg96 at my-deja.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a Perl/Perl-Tk developer who recently has been getting irritated
> with Perl and Tk in general so I ordered a couple of books on Python
> and Tkinter to begin my process of "conversion".

Good move.

> I've been thinking about scrapping the current project I'm working on
> (while it's still young) and re-doing it in Python (which shouldn't be
> that difficult to re-write, actually).  However, there is one widget I
> must have or it's no-go: a record displayer.  The GUI I'm working on
> interfaces with a large database and it must be able to display, and
> have methods for dealing with, records.

As in, rows retrieved from a SQL query?

> Does one exist or is anyone working on one?  I didn't see one on the
> Pmw home page, but I didn't want to start putting one together if one
> was already in the works.  If not, I think I have a good idea on how to
> approach it.

Manning's book "Python and Tkinter Programming" contains code which
exemplifies one approach, although it's not really well-developed enough
to be lifted and used in a production environment.  Chapter 8 would be a
good place to start.

Hammond and Robinson's "Python Programming on Win32" offers many ways to
give a GUI to database code, although again nothing robust enough to just
say "import and use".

> Also, is there a separate Tkinter newsgroup that I'm unaware of?  A
> search of usenet revealed nothing.
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> Regards,
>
> DJB
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

HTH.  OF course, the best approach is to build something general enough
*and* robust enought hat it's worth publishing for others to use.  Good
luck!

regards
 Steve
--
Helping people meet their information needs with training and technology.
703 967 0887      sholden at bellatlantic.net      http://www.holdenweb.com/