compiling python on Mac OS X Beta

Steven D. Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Thu Sep 21 14:03:41 EDT 2000

On 20 Sep 2000, Johann Hibschman wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Has anyone had any luck compiling python (1.5.2, 1.6, 2.0b, I don't
> care) on the Macintosh OS X?  I tried and failed this afternoon.
> 1.5.2 wanted to put both a "Python/" directory and the "python"
> executable in a case-insensitive directory (so it compiled, just
> didn't test or install), while 1.6 died on a missing header file,
> something like "mach-o/rld.h", but I am shamed to admit I forget the
> exact name.
>
> Any tips or pointers?

I was doing some hacking at Darwin, but I stopped until my copy
of OSX beta arrives -- it'll be easier to work if I don't have
to boot back and forth between Darwin and OS9.

The developer tools for OSX beta haven't shipped yet. Have you
loaded the Darwin developer tools on top of OSX, or do you have
tools from DP4 ?

There is a version of 1.5.2 for OSX that I found thru Stepwise's SofTrak,
that works and builds under Darwin as well as OSX. I think all that he
did was to change the "Python" directory to "_Python" and adjust the
makefiles. ( HFS+ is not case sensitive. The other solution is to
create a UFS partition and build it on that filesystem. )

There is now supposedly a version of Python in the Darwin CVS repository
at publicsource.apple.com, but I haven't checked this out yet.
I tried to use CVSWeb to peek at it, but access seemed to have been
broken, so I don't know what version of Python or what mods have been
made.

A newer version of config.guess reportedly fixes some of the autoconfig
problems.

The Darwin mailing lists have been quite active, and for questions
about the non-Quartz, non-Carbon, non-Cocao lower level stuff, it
is probably better to ask there. ( That may have been because until
the beta, all of the ODX DP4 developers were under non-disclosure
agreements -- maybe the OSX mailing lists will pick up now, but
you'll also probably see a lot of  OSX/Darwin cross development
projects. )

http://www.darwinfo.org/ is the best web site to start from.
The Stepwise darwin site <http://www.darwinos.org/> and Apple's
own Darwin FAQ are not as frequently updated.

---|  Steven D. Majewski   (804-982-0831)  <sdm7g at Virginia.EDU>  |---
---|  Department of Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics  |---
---|  University of Virginia             Health Sciences Center  |---
---|  P.O. Box 10011            Charlottesville, VA  22906-0011  |---
		"All operating systems want to be unix,
		 All programming languages want to be lisp."