Char handling DOS vs Linux?

David Lees debl.spammono.nospammy at world.std.com
Tue Sep 19 21:17:25 EDT 2000

I wrote a short piece of python code running under 1.5.2 for striping
out those extra carriage returns that DOS editors stick into text.  When
I run this on my Linux box all works fine.  When I run the same code
under Win 95 it does nothing.  It appears from using the debugger that
the '\r' carriage returns are never seen when running under Windows.  Is
there a different Python I/O function I should be using to see ALL the
charaters in a file?

Thanks in advance.

david lees

# Read input file 1 character at a time and send to output if it is not
a CR (0D='\r')
while 1:
    s=input.read(1)
    if not s: